Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which Pokie?

4 posters

Go down

which Pokie? Empty which Pokie?

Post by ianandlorr 2009-07-30, 15:00

Hi All, Just wanted to know if anyone has any advice please? I want to expand my collection of T's (at the mo we have 25 ranging from G.Rosea to L.Para) I have 2 avics so know how to care for abhorreals. I am also visually impaired but love T's and I dont let my sight hinder me in looking after my babies...... but any advice on which one would be my best first Pokie would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks in advance.
Lorraine Very Happy Spider
ianandlorr
ianandlorr

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-07-16

Back to top Go down

which Pokie? Empty Re: which Pokie?

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-07-30, 15:45

I think if you are going to buy any pokie as a sling any would be fine to be honest.

P.regalis and P.rufilata are fairly inexpensive ones to start off with. Temperament is more or less the same for all pokies so I cant really say what's a best 1st pokie. I guess it just depends on your wallet!

The P.regalis is striking with it's very clear and crisp striping, but the P.rufilata grows to be a lovely green with orange setae.

I have a rufilata, fasciata, M&F metallica and a MM striata doing the rounds at the moment and to be honest all of them are same in temperament. they would rather hide when you are doing maintenance. All but the metallica come out in an evening, metallica's are photosensitive so although very beautiful, not a great display tarantula
Did have a regalis sling but I swapped it so my hubby could have a spid he wanted lol!
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ianandlorr 2009-07-30, 16:38

Thanks Lisa, your reply was very informative. Will keep on the look out for a juvie as I dont get much luck with small slings.....just lost my rose grey sling boo hoo. Although have got 3 chaco's through to juvie from tiny slings and a pink Zebra to sub adult, and of course my A. versicolour too. But hubby said that he would rather not get any more slings as it is upsetting when they die. I know we are soft..... but all our pets are our babies lol. lol!
ianandlorr
ianandlorr

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-07-30, 16:51

lol so are ours.

we keep all our slings in a micro climate. i.e. all in their film cannisters etc inside a temperature controlled tank. seems to work a treat.

Then when they are over 3-4cm LS they come out into the open so to speak
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ianandlorr 2009-07-30, 16:59

come to think of it the chacos and the pink zebra I had in a bigger viv set up, in little pots and kept them at same temps, will have to dig out the viv I used lol. lol!
ianandlorr
ianandlorr

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty 2009-07-30, 22:38

I can only comment on regalis as that's the only Pokie I currently keep, but without fail ever single time she's approached she'd rather run & hide than stand her ground & throw threat poses.

So from my experience, regalis would be fine, & if most other Pokies are the same (as I'm led to believe, but every individual is different remember) then you should be fine with any. :')

Matty

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Astral 2009-07-31, 02:11

I am also looking at moving into the pokie scene,
so this thread has been extremely informative, I love the striking colours of the regalis,
would love a few metalllica slings to try and raise,

so far I have kept all my slings in a temp controlled tank and so far so good
everything is doing really well

so I will be looking for a regalis sling to join the others now Smile

Astral

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down