Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Do You Keep T's ?

+14
Sage999
MissMoose
ianandlorr
kingcobra
RaeRae
!Steve!
Lisa Baines
MzHunny
stiggmatt
Jennifer
Admin
iiisecondcreep
corpselight
Luke02
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Do You Keep T's ? Empty Why Do You Keep T''s ?

Post by Luke02 2009-05-20, 18:43

Yes ok I know we've all been asked the question Laughing .

But realy why do you keep T's ?

I keep T's because back when I was younger(80s) I used to go to this petshop all the time in Dublin,at that time T's were abit pricey back then so my mum could not afford one Sad so as year's went by all I could realy keep was house spider's Laughing, wich was ok but they did not last very long,so again time went past, and finaly I went to a petshop just up the road from were I live and seen this lovely G.Rosea sitting in it's little tub.I did not by her there on the spot I first went home and had a long think about it,then I said to myself let's give it ago.
So I got all the info I needed from the internet (eg caresheet's,tank setup's) and one year later I now have 27 T's Shocked Laughing .
Now the second resone to why I like T's,well of course it's to study them :study:plus I have cut down alot on buying T's due to the fact of having to many to learn from so I think this time I'll be fussy about what T's I would like to buy. I have found that not every T is the same or should I say not everything goes by the book with T's Laughing ,I think everybody has there own way and point off view about why they keep T's.

So tell us Why Do You Keep T's ?
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Why Do You Keep T's ? Empty Re: Why Do You Keep T's ?

Post by corpselight 2009-05-22, 07:10

it's weird but i've always loved nearly all of God's creatures, from mammals to dinosaurs to bugs.
i never really considered owning an invert (aside from ice cream buckets of snails as a youngster and the odd jarred beetle of course) til i moved to London...one of my bandmates had scorpions (P imperator), and when he had to sell them as he was moving to a tiny place, he gave me two.
soon after, i went to a BTS show and got C darlingi lol
it was love at first sight lol...and i've just become wholly addicted. over 200 creatures of some kind reside in my room...from T's to scorps to centipedes, and even a carnivorous ground beetle (Anthea sexguttata).
i think what keeps me coming back for more is that they are interesting to learn about and watch, they are beautiful creatures, and it helps me feel somewhat closer to nature, in the middle of north london. though i'd keep them still even if i was in the country!
also the fact that they are easy to look after (relatively speaking), hardly take up any room, are very safe in their tubs, and i may in some way contribute to their well-being as a whole by breeding attempts.
also the fact i feel that spiders and other inverts are unjustly hated by most of the world makes me feel like i'm on the side of the underdog...which is something i like!

corpselight
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep 2009-05-22, 15:21

Because they're COOL.

Because they are amazing, everything they do fascinates me. After 13years I still get a kick out of watching them catch their prey, how fast they can be, how little slings can overpower relatively huge prey. Etc etc etc Smile

iiisecondcreep

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2009-05-22, 15:28

Because they are different, very interesting and as Gayle says they just fascinate me completely..

I enjoy seeing them grow and feed, taking pictures etc also Very Happy

Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2009-03-08

http://www.arachnidaddicts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-05-25, 09:12

Wow good comment's all.

It's good to hear that there realy is alot off interest for T's and that people are not buying them just to watch them hunt.

Thanks for the comment's and keep them coming im sure we all have different resone's such as the four comment's above Smile .
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer 2009-05-27, 02:42

I have always thought T's are amazing. I think they are cute to look at and I find their behaviour interesting. I have always loved spiders, other inverts and reptiles.

I used to go on and on about getting my own G rosea for years but because of work and studying commitments I never actually got around to buying one, but I really wanted one. On Christmas Day 2007 my family surprised me with my beautiful Rosie as a present. My little Rosie has been such a pleasure to keep and watch. Now I have a stable job and I'm settled in a new home I have been able to get a few more.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by stiggmatt 2009-05-27, 04:27

Why do i keep T's??
Because my Mrs won't drink Coffee!!!!!!!!

Why do i keep spiders??
Because they are the most fascinating thing on this planet to me and they have a large place in my Dark Psychedelic Life
stiggmatt
stiggmatt
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by corpselight 2009-05-27, 04:39

lol Matt...we have a selection of T's at my place...Sainsbury's red label (my favourite), Tetley decaf (bleh), green tea and some herbal malarkey...
Laughing

corpselight
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stiggmatt 2009-05-27, 04:59

corpselight wrote:lol Matt...we have a selection of T's at my place...Sainsbury's red label (my favourite), Tetley decaf (bleh), green tea and some herbal malarkey...
Laughing

The best i have ever had was wormwood tea . The same stuff that proper 90% absinthe is made with.
stiggmatt
stiggmatt
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by corpselight 2009-05-27, 05:20

somehow, i'm not surprised lol

corpselight
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MzHunny 2009-05-27, 12:41

It wasn't my choice to keep T's really... my daughter wanted one for ages and when I gave in I found them to be fascinating so we got a few more!

MzHunny

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-05-29, 14:10

Bought our Stigg a T two years ago for his birthday after he had mentioned a few times that he would like to keep them again.

I prefer my scorpions but I'm kinda getting hooked on T's now.
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-06-03, 16:11

Thank you all for answering this thread and I have to say there all very good answer's Smile .

Keep them coming Wink .
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by !Steve! 2009-06-05, 15:52

theyre GIANT SPIDERS , what more do i need to say? ;D

!Steve!

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-06-06, 06:21

!Steve! wrote:theyre GIANT SPIDERS , what more do i need to say? ;D

Laughing
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RaeRae 2009-06-08, 07:40

Well.. I've always been an absolute animal freak. Obsessed by nature. When I was a kid, I would spend hours just reading about all different types of creatures, I wanted to be a vet (But then realised that there was no way I'd get high enough grades for that plus it's not something I could deal with everyday for the rest of my life). My parents got me a dog when I was 6 (still have her and she's almost 15 and like a mad puppy), that was the extent of the pets they allowed me to have. I bought myself some clawed frogs a few years ago. Then this December just gone by I realised I would love a spider.. I bought a pretty sub adult G. rosea, a week later I had another, this time an adult RCF rosea and a few weeks later I had 7 more.. It just hasn't stopped since. I can sit there just watching them for ages. I sat and watched one moult from start to finish, manually taking photos at 5 second intervals for 3 hours (what a freak!).

That's another reason I love them I guess, I'm a photography student and they're great to shoot!

But yeah, they're beautiful fascinating creatures and I love them to bits.. Why did I have to choose such an expensive hobby?! My room is now a zoo with the spiders, frogs, bearded dragon and rat.. And it's a small room. But I wouldn't have it any other way. (My parents would, but tough luck to them)

RaeRae

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-06-11, 08:45

It's not that expensive were do you buy your T's Smile .
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RaeRae 2009-06-11, 08:54

I've bought from Boardwalk pets, Reptile Haven, Wackers and Fintastic Aquatics.

When I said expensive I was talking about buying them here.

Wackers is defo the best. For both prices and selection. Plus that dude is pretty sound.

I've bought most of my Ts online though. Lovely and cheap in comparison. No 40 or 50 euro Roseas online thank god.

RaeRae

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-06-11, 09:03

Im going to tell you abit off truth here the pet shop's over here rip us off did you not see the B.Smithi sling for sale in Wacker's it cost €60:00 euros for that price you could buy about 20 B.Smithi sling's online Wink plus I bought 2 pokie's last year online wich only cost me about €70:00 euros but to buy them over here could cost you about €400:00-€600:00 euros Evil or Very Mad .

But not to worry the more people you know online the cheaper it will be to have that T you realy want and need Wink .

Buy the way are you talking about Gavin in Wacker's.
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corpselight 2009-06-11, 09:10

i guess what happens with shops though is they have overheads to cover...so prices necessarily go up.
i do find the difference prohibitive, unfortunately, as many do.

corpselight
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-06-11, 09:28

corpselight wrote:i guess what happens with shops though is they have overheads to cover...so prices necessarily go up.
i do find the difference prohibitive, unfortunately, as many do.

Well hopefully when I start breeding and all goes to plan I might put the petshop's over here out of business Laughing but in a nice way of course (I dont want a T war) because the way I see it is their only charging a high price because of how the T look's or they will give you a stupid story like O this T is very rare just so you will buy it Rolling Eyes .

Ok now I have to stop talking about this because it's off topic Smile .
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RaeRae 2009-06-11, 09:32

Luke02 wrote:Im going to tell you abit off truth here the pet shop's over here rip us off did you not see the B.Smithi sling for sale in Wacker's it cost €60:00 euros for that price you could buy about 20 B.Smithi sling's online Wink plus I bought 2 pokie's last year online wich only cost me about €70:00 euros but to buy them over here could cost you about €400:00-€600:00 euros Evil or Very Mad .

But not to worry the more people you know online the cheaper it will be to have that T you realy want and need Wink .

Buy the way are you talking about Gavin in Wacker's.

You think I don't know that truth? HA. Only too well aware, which is why I never buy other than online anymore. They had a male H. lividum for 60 euro in one of the shops before and the dude was like, are you interested? I laughed in his face.

Yeah Gavin in whackers, he seems alright. Bought a C. Fasciatum in there that has been on death's door since I got it though. Just doesn't eat. It's eaten maybe twice since I got it and has always been shrivelled looking, but that's not his fault. I'm working on it because it's such a little cutie (so aggro though).

So yeah of course all the prices are ridiculous but wackers ain't the worst I've seen.

Online is the way to go. Can't wait for my new scorps and Ts next week though. £80 worth, 6 Ts, 1 MM loan and 3 scorps. Try getting that in Dublin, ahaha. Did you see the emperor scorps in whackers for 40quid each? What are they thinking.

Can't wait to start trying to breed my Ts. Bwahaha.

RaeRae

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-06-11, 09:40

Has the C. Fasciatum drank any water yet plus what is the humidity in the tank if you dont mind me asking and good to hear your awear of the T price's Wink
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RaeRae 2009-06-11, 12:04

I've never actually seen it drink anything so far. The humidity is normally between 65-70%. It looks a lot better than it did in the start (moulted in the last month) but still not looking on top form.

RaeRae

Back to top Go down

Post by corpselight 2009-06-11, 16:02

i'd beef up the humidity to 80-85% really, they are a humid species.
even if it's Cyclosternum pentalore in reality, as they have been sold as fasciatum up til recently.

corpselight
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum