Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pots for slings....

+5
Lisa Baines
Becky
garlicpickle
Admin
xchrissyx
9 posters

Go down

pots for slings.... Empty pots for slings....

Post by xchrissyx 2009-03-10, 06:35

yes me again, haha but if i dont ask i wont learn...
what size, colour, type pot do i need to keep a spiderling in?? and what do i put in it..
never had slings before so want to get it all right..

i will have loads of questions for you so be ready, lol lol
thanx guys...
xchrissyx
xchrissyx
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-03-08

http://www.freewebs.com/nakeaz

Back to top Go down

pots for slings.... Empty Re: pots for slings....

Post by Admin 2009-03-10, 06:51

For larger terrestial/burrowing slings I use cricket tubs with either coco fibre or use some other stuff also tbh.
Also if you look round asda do you know the see through little tall 23p pots?
They are perfect for small arboreal slings, or other slings tbh.
Just add a little branch or something tiny in there for them to climb up I tend to do.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 778

http://www.arachnidaddicts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by garlicpickle 2009-03-10, 06:58

film pots are also good for tiny slings, although film pots are getting harder to come by now everyone's going digital!
garlicpickle
garlicpickle
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 2009-03-10, 07:01

garlicpickle wrote:film pots are also good for tiny slings, although film pots are getting harder to come by now everyone's going digital!

They are ok for the first few moults but not really ideal for anything to nasty or fast as you cannot see where they are lol.
Would probably be best buying special made ones for slings from www.thespidershop.co.uk or going to asda.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 778

http://www.arachnidaddicts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xchrissyx 2009-03-10, 07:59

thanx, looks like a trip to asda is called for then,
cant wait to get my babys now, lol lol x
xchrissyx
xchrissyx
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky 2009-03-10, 08:13

Film pots for tiny slings, asda pots are great! As are any tupperware containers. Cricket tubs work for juveniles too Smile
Becky
Becky

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by xchrissyx 2009-03-10, 08:17

Becky wrote:Film pots for tiny slings, asda pots are great! As are any tupperware containers. Cricket tubs work for juveniles too Smile

thats a good idea too, will keep a few of my empty ones...xxx
xchrissyx
xchrissyx
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-03-21, 19:53

we start off with film canisters, then they go into bun case tubs when they are big enough... then the tall cream pots, juvi jars (from lee @ thespidershop)... from there they either go into sweet jars for aboral or exo terra plastic tanks for terrestrial, or deep critter keepers for the burowers<<< obviously the right size depending on the size of the tarantula.

I literally have about 3 big storage boxes ful of various size tubs and tanks!
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Poxicator 2009-03-26, 09:18

Anything can be used to a degree if you just use a little imagination. You need to consider the size of the sling - don't put tiny slings in large tubs; the depth of substrate required; the humidity and ventilation (Avics); arboreal or terrestrial; and how aggressive the species is.
The ASDA pots are great, I have loads of these and have grown on GBB, Avics, Pokies, P. cambs, P. murinus, H. macs etc in them. I think I'm right in saying I started the ASDA tubs off.
Small round tubs are great for the next stage up when dealing with terrestrials - delicatessen tubs, humous and various dips. Many of these will be branded but your local kebab shop should have some clear ones.
Once they've grown on from these I find cricket tubs excellent but you can also use ice cream tubs or take away cartons - an excellent excuse to order a chinese. The amount of ventilation you provide (cricket tubs have lots) will determine how well the retain humidity.
ASDA also sell tall opaque tubs which Ive used for Koh Samui, H. maculata and other borrowing species but alternatives come in the shape of soup tubs and various storage jars that you get from Wilkos, IKEA, Tesco's etc.
I thoroughly recommend using large tubs for the burrowing species without too much worry about it being too large. The burrow will increase is size with the T meaning much less rehousing for many of the more aggressive species.

Poxicator

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by selina20 2009-03-26, 09:40

Poxicator wrote:Anything can be used to a degree if you just use a little imagination. You need to consider the size of the sling - don't put tiny slings in large tubs; the depth of substrate required; the humidity and ventilation (Avics); arboreal or terrestrial; and how aggressive the species is.
The ASDA pots are great, I have loads of these and have grown on GBB, Avics, Pokies, P. cambs, P. murinus, H. macs etc in them. I think I'm right in saying I started the ASDA tubs off.
Small round tubs are great for the next stage up when dealing with terrestrials - delicatessen tubs, humous and various dips. Many of these will be branded but your local kebab shop should have some clear ones.
Once they've grown on from these I find cricket tubs excellent but you can also use ice cream tubs or take away cartons - an excellent excuse to order a chinese. The amount of ventilation you provide (cricket tubs have lots) will determine how well the retain humidity.
ASDA also sell tall opaque tubs which Ive used for Koh Samui, H. maculata and other borrowing species but alternatives come in the shape of soup tubs and various storage jars that you get from Wilkos, IKEA, Tesco's etc.
I thoroughly recommend using large tubs for the burrowing species without too much worry about it being too large. The burrow will increase is size with the T meaning much less rehousing for many of the more aggressive species.

What he said lol!
selina20
selina20
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonie 2009-03-27, 16:39

Poxicator, that just about sums up housing in one paragraph, great post mate Laughing

Jonie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Gun 2009-03-27, 21:08

95% of mine are housed in differing sized RUBS, all clear.
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by xchrissyx 2009-03-29, 15:21

thanx all, ive got them now and they are in cricket tubs and doing well, feeding ok too, im so surprised at how small they are???!!!! yeh i know silly realy hahaha
xchrissyx
xchrissyx
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down