Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus!

5 posters

Go down

I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus! Empty I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus!

Post by AshMashMash 2009-03-28, 12:42

So, I have got two already. Probably both males. I have ordered another two, and hopefully will get at least one female, and then can have a go at breeding them Smile Cant wait!

Apparently its 14-15 months gestation unless anyone can enlighten me on it? I found ONE source on the internet stating so, in a google book.

Anyways, this is my male/"female?" set up:

I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus! DoubleTank

And the "female" in her burrow:

I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus! 9
AshMashMash
AshMashMash

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus! Empty Re: I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus!

Post by Admin 2009-03-28, 12:46

Nice one buddy Very Happy
Good luck with the breeding, im not that up on breeding scorpions myself but I know there is a couple of keepers on here that breed some species maybe they can help you out.

Regards,

Peter.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2009-03-08

http://www.arachnidaddicts.com

Back to top Go down

I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus! Empty Re: I've ordered two more S. maurus palmatus!

Post by AshMashMash 2009-03-28, 12:50

Admin wrote:Nice one buddy Very Happy
Good luck with the breeding, im not that up on breeding scorpions myself but I know there is a couple of keepers on here that breed some species maybe they can help you out.

Regards,

Peter.

Aye yeh, ta Smile We'll see what happens. Gonna have another go at introducing them together at some point, male into the "females" quarters and see what happens.
AshMashMash
AshMashMash

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyboy 2009-03-28, 12:52

AshMashMash wrote:

Aye yeh, ta Smile We'll see what happens. Gonna have another go at introducing them together at some point, male into the "females" quarters and see what happens.

So how does that there burrow not collapse on the poor scorp? Is the sand mixed with coco fibre or something, doesn't look like it?

joeyboy

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by AshMashMash 2009-03-28, 12:57

joeyboy wrote:So how does that there burrow not collapse on the poor scorp? Is the sand mixed with coco fibre or something, doesn't look like it?

It is indeed. Another person has suggested a soil/sand/clay (5:10:1-2 I think) mix, which I want to try out. This sand/eco earth mix isn't that great tbh. Works well enough, but is a bit prone to collapse if I knock it.
AshMashMash
AshMashMash

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Gun 2009-03-28, 13:11

Looks a lot humid than I'd recommend for the sp Ash.

Like I said on other place, try letting em settle again after introducing some slate they can both fit on and introduce your 'male' to your females enclosure and keep your fingers crossed Smile

The mix should be fine, make the mix up, put it in place, soak the substrate then compact it down as hard as you can, leave to dry then introduce your scorpions.
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyboy 2009-03-28, 13:31

Young_Gun wrote:
The mix should be fine, make the mix up, put it in place, soak the substrate then compact it down as hard as you can, leave to dry then introduce your scorpions.

Yeah but once you've soaked and compacted something with eco earth/coco fibre in...it aint gonna dry. Very Happy

I mean I used about 5" of coco fibre for my GBB's exo terra and it wasn't totally dry when i put it in. I can still see the bottom two-three inches are wet and that's after 6 months! 6 months Roy!!!"

joeyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Gun 2009-03-28, 13:34

joeyboy wrote:
Young_Gun wrote:

Yeah but once you've soaked and compacted something with eco earth/coco fibre in...it aint gonna dry. Very Happy

I mean I used about 5" of coco fibre for my GBB's exo terra and it wasn't totally dry when i put it in. I can still see the bottom two-three inches are wet and that's after 6 months! 6 months Roy!!!"
So in 6 months you have introduced no mositure yourself into your GBB's enclosure?

I have used the method with success in the past and continue to use it now with the same success, the substrate will dry if allowed a good air flow and heating, it will then provide a solid base for your animal to burrow in.
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyboy 2009-03-28, 14:45

Young_Gun wrote:
joeyboy wrote:
Young_Gun wrote:

So in 6 months you have introduced no mositure yourself into your GBB's enclosure?

I have used the method with success in the past and continue to use it now with the same success, the substrate will dry if allowed a good air flow and heating, it will then provide a solid base for your animal to burrow in.

NO twisting! Yeah Ok I have but you can see the bottom 2inch is still dark and seems to have been unchanging, where as only one corner gets flooded with water and not to an extreme amount. But yeah I imagine it can often work.

joeyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AshMashMash 2009-03-28, 15:37

Young_Gun wrote:Looks a lot humid than I'd recommend for the sp Ash.

Like I said on other place, try letting em settle again after introducing some slate they can both fit on and introduce your 'male' to your females enclosure and keep your fingers crossed Smile

Yes, sorry, I had JUST sprayed that! Its not normally that wet at all, just gave it a good spray before taking the pic. Normally, the surface of the sand is dry, and the lower sand humid and moist.

And yes, that is sorta what I did... maybe I should compact it down more.
AshMashMash
AshMashMash

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-03-28, 15:56

hope you get two females ash.

I'm 99.999999999% certain you have two males. Anyway post nice clear pics of them when you get them and we will have a go at positively ID-ing them.
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by AshMashMash 2009-03-28, 16:00

Lisa Baines wrote:hope you get two females ash.

I'm 99.999999999% certain you have two males. Anyway post nice clear pics of them when you get them and we will have a go at positively ID-ing them.

Aha... LadyRiotControl?

Yeh, me too! lol. I will be posting up when I get them, I'll get some pectine and dorsal shots Smile ta!
AshMashMash
AshMashMash

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-03-28, 16:17

yup LRC here!

Got my fingers crossed for ya anyway.
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down