Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

regalis coming soon

+3
Luke02
Jamie
spit051261
7 posters

Go down

regalis coming soon Empty regalis coming soon

Post by spit051261 2009-05-09, 06:13

Just got some exos for new spiders....regalis is coming next week.
Just put the vermiculite in....watered but not sure how wet it should be....was like a sponge?Help ???
Ordered sphag moss to put in as well.
Here are the set ups.....on top of the snakey vivs.....anything you can think of to add?
paul
regalis coming soon PICT2449
regalis coming soon PICT2448
spit051261
spit051261

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down

regalis coming soon Empty Re: regalis coming soon

Post by Jamie 2009-05-09, 14:19

I would get a block of coco fibre...

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=744

and mix that in with the vermiculite. looks better and will hold moisture better.

Maybe put a live plant in there. but do your research in to what plants are safe, I wouldn't have a clue!!
Jamie
Jamie
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-05-09, 15:39

Hi there spit1261.

Ok first off there is a cool thread in the Tarantula Discussion section it's called A newbie guide to Poecilotheria
hopefully that should give you some help Wink and as for plant's your best bet would be to go for and indoor plant that does not need to much sunlight or one that need's lot's of water because it will dry out the substrate to fast and there is a bit of a down side to keeping plant's in a tank and that is of course mite's that come with the plant from been outside were all sort's of pest's could be hidding plus the plant may have pesticides wich the T's prey could eat then pass onto the T wich could cause harm Neutral .

But if you would like to keep plant's in your tank I myself would go for a Pothos Wink There is a link below if you need info about the plant.

http://www.plant-care.com/pothos-number-one-houseplant.html
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Teeny 2009-05-10, 13:01

Either a live plant as, has been suggested or a silk one. I use silk as they don't need light etc and i can take them out and give them a good wash when doing full tank change
Teeny
Teeny
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Poxicator 2009-05-11, 07:47

A common misconception is that Poecilotheria like a moist environment, whereas most prefer drier conditions. All you need is to raise the humidity up a little and once or twice a fortnight pour water onto your substrate. P. regalis prefer it dry so a plant saucer filled with water should suffice.
Vermiculite doesn't look natural and I'd suggest coir as a better replacement or as a mix. Some sphagnum moss over the substrate helps to make it look natural too. Your regalis may use some of the substrate and moss to disguise its web.
Low level, slow growing, low maintenance plants are what you need, and Pothos is a great example, but growing plants in a Poecilotheria enclosure might not be your best introduction to the species.
Personally I'd try to decorate your tank a little more, make the cork retreat secure into a corner and provide other climbing furniture with drapping plants.

You might also wish to make secure the polystyrene backing with some silicone, blocking off entrances to stop crickets getting behind and dieing! Many ppl remove these completely.

I'd suggest you get the set up sorted well in advance of introducing the regalis.

Poxicator

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by spit051261 2009-05-11, 12:18

Just added some cork and a plant....also mixed in coco fiber with the vermiculite.
Just waiting for the temps to get up a bit before calibrating the stat
paul
regalis coming soon PICT2452
spit051261
spit051261

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke02 2009-05-11, 18:23

Yea looking good Wink .
Luke02
Luke02
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by kingcobra 2009-05-16, 14:29

i agree with poxicator dry is best for pokies,i mist mine very lightly about once a week,enough to leave plenty of droplets on the container sides,but not enough to soak the substrate. Smile
kingcobra
kingcobra

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Gun 2009-05-18, 18:34

Agree with Pete and Kenny re moisture, most problems people encounter with Pokies is due to them being kept too wet/humid, personally I would scrap the vermiculite from the substrate and go for a coco/coir and sphagnmum mix only, a nice large hollow cork bark tube is a must for a large pokie aswell as plenty of other varied cover.
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down