Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P.Subfusca new housing

+3
BlueTongueDan
Luke
Young_Gun
7 posters

Go down

P.Subfusca new housing Empty P.Subfusca new housing

Post by Young_Gun 2009-04-09, 14:38

Sorted the housing out for the P.Subfusca adult female we are gettin, adult males getting the same but a smaller exo.

Excuse the amount of pics, went a bit trigger happy afro

P.Subfusca new housing DSC01822

P.Subfusca new housing DSC01821

P.Subfusca new housing DSC01820

P.Subfusca new housing DSC01819

P.Subfusca new housing DSC01818
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

P.Subfusca new housing Empty Re: P.Subfusca new housing

Post by Luke 2009-04-09, 14:41

WOW, That looks realy good!!!
She's going to love it in there Smile
Good luck with the breeding mate
Luke
Luke
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTongueDan 2009-04-09, 15:33

That set up looks amazing!
Great Job Very Happy
BlueTongueDan
BlueTongueDan
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Poxicator 2009-04-09, 15:36

I have a couple of round stones in my subfusca enclosure but obviously if the T falls on this its not good news. Personally I take the backing out too, cricket get behind there and die, not so easy to remove! Is that a living Bromeliad? I've always wanted to include live plants in an enclosure, one day I'll sort it.

Keep your subfusca cool if you intend breeding.

Good luck and please keep us updated

Poxicator

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Gun 2009-04-09, 17:58

Poxicator wrote:I have a couple of round stones in my subfusca enclosure but obviously if the T falls on this its not good news. Personally I take the backing out too, cricket get behind there and die, not so easy to remove! Is that a living Bromeliad? I've always wanted to include live plants in an enclosure, one day I'll sort it.

Keep your subfusca cool if you intend breeding.

Good luck and please keep us updated
I've not finished working on it yet, going to add a 'floating' water dish over the rock to make it look cool, I never use stones in my enclosures otherwise, the backing is sealed at the bottom and sides and is getting sealed along the top tomorrow, I find they appreciate it more than glass and it makes less sides for me to cover over.

It's one of a few living plants I want to put it, nice little bromeliad and a pothos.

Will be the 3rd time I've bred Subfusca so fingers crossed, Tigra's are next Very Happy
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHalen 2009-04-09, 19:15

Poxicator wrote:Keep your subfusca cool if you intend breeding.
Shouldn't have to worry about keeping it "cool" so to speak. Warming the female up to 28/30c and keeping her dry for a few months before removing the heat and soaking her seems to do the job Smile

Young_Gun wrote:Tigra's are next Very Happy
Don't suppose your'e looking for a male are you? My female made a sac a few months back and hasn't moulted yet. He's just going to waste at the mo Sad
DanHalen
DanHalen
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Poxicator 2009-04-10, 05:36

Dan, did you breed subfusca at those temperatures? seems awfully high for that particular species.

Poxicator

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHalen 2009-04-10, 06:54

Poxicator wrote:Dan, did you breed subfusca at those temperatures? seems awfully high for that particular species.

You have to bear in mind that subfusca are very adaptable. They come from areas like Nurawa Eliya, that experience frequent low temperatures, but then they also come from near Kandy - a region that regularly reaches temps around 30c. They are very singular in that respect.

A few years ago when people started attempting to breed subfusca, they went to great lengths to ensure that the temps were very low. Some even went as far as installing fogging machines to simulate morning mists - and none of it worked. Then people started treating them like they were normal pokies, and sacs started appearing. Thomas Froik once said he found them easier to breed than avics.

Look at the breeding rate for rufilata - it's never all that hard to find one. No one attepts to lower the temperatures substantially with these guys, but in actuality, they inhabit higher mountain regions than subfusca, and can be subjected to colder temperatures too.
DanHalen
DanHalen
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Poxicator 2009-04-10, 08:21

Interesting, foggers LOL but I can see why, it does get rather misty up there in the morning.
From reading Andrew Smith's report on these it suggests that those keeping them at high temperatures for breeding, and he quotes 80F, should "think again", and uses this as an argument for lack of success.
I always find this temperature and humidity of subfusca such a strange situation. Having been to both Kandy and Nuwara Eliya, which incidentally is referred to as Little England because temperatures and the housing is so similar, the conditions do not seem to be replicated in our enclosures. I can fully understand how this occurs within our own set-ups, but I'd have thought breeding would have required a resemblance to their natural habitat. I guess, as you say, they are adaptable, as many species are.

Poxicator

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Gun 2009-04-10, 15:29

DanHalen wrote:
Poxicator wrote:Keep your subfusca cool if you intend breeding.
Shouldn't have to worry about keeping it "cool" so to speak. Warming the female up to 28/30c and keeping her dry for a few months before removing the heat and soaking her seems to do the job Smile

Young_Gun wrote:Tigra's are next Very Happy
Don't suppose your'e looking for a male are you? My female made a sac a few months back and hasn't moulted yet. He's just going to waste at the mo Sad
Unfortunately not mate, got an adult trio arriving shortly.

Poxicator wrote:Dan, did you breed subfusca at those temperatures? seems awfully high for that particular species.
Not Dan I know but mine were bred at the same temperature as everything else, 29c.
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by manic 2009-04-10, 17:18

Love the setup! I sealed the backing into my exo's too, makes it so much better keeping it in although I have heard the crickets chewing or digging on it lately so will have to investigate that problem soon as I can catch them doing it Shocked
manic
manic

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Teeny 2009-04-11, 00:31

It looks great. I cannot wait to design the housing for my Gigas when it is adult. That will be a challenge Very Happy
Teeny
Teeny
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Poxicator 2009-04-11, 06:35

Young_Gun wrote:Not Dan I know but mine were bred at the same temperature as everything else, 29c.

Do you know if these were lowland or highland variants, please?

Poxicator

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Gun 2009-04-11, 12:01

Poxicator wrote:
Young_Gun wrote:Not Dan I know but mine were bred at the same temperature as everything else, 29c.

Do you know if these were lowland or highland variants, please?
Highland as far as I am aware but not sure if I put much weight in there being two variants of Subfusca rather than one being 'P.Subfusca' and the other being something else, hopefully time will tell Smile
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down