Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desert Hairy Substrate?

3 posters

Go down

Desert Hairy Substrate? Empty Desert Hairy Substrate?

Post by BlueTongueDan 2009-04-08, 13:18

So I should be getting a Desert Hairy (Hadrurus arizonensis) soon.
Am I right in thinking they like to burrow?
If so, what substrate is best to use? I was thinking of using just sand but that would be no good for the scorpion to make a burrow.
Could I mix something with the sand? But without creating too much humidity?

Thanks,
Dan
BlueTongueDan
BlueTongueDan
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Desert Hairy Substrate? Empty Re: Desert Hairy Substrate?

Post by Young_Gun 2009-04-08, 13:56

60/40 mix of play sand to coir/eco earth will be fine, before you put the scorp in, get the subby mixed up, soak it and then compact it down as hard as you can, then let it dry out, that will provide a good stable base for some burrows.
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTongueDan 2009-04-08, 14:02

Great, thanks a lot Smile
BlueTongueDan
BlueTongueDan
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-04-09, 13:17

for my 'sand' based scorpions I use the following mixture:-

14 parts sand (or split between sand and coir substrate)
2 parts pea gravel
1 part bentonite clay.

mix all this with a little water to dampen it. then put it in ya tank and leave it to dry out. I use a desk lamp to help the drying process otherwise you are waiting aaaaages!
I find this mix fantastic because as the clay dries it bonds the sand, enough to make burrows incredibly stable but brittle enough for the scorpion to scrape away. As it dries it expands slightly which increases stability. I believe the calcium based bentonite is best but to be perfectly honest I dont think it would make a great deal of difference which bentonite clay you use.

You can get this pretty cheap on ebay as well (about £6 inc postage for 750g), only place I can get it from because I cant get it locally without paying through the nose for it.

I recently discovered this from reading one of my scorpion books and I wish I had known about this clay aaaages ago - no more collapsed burrows yay!

This clay is used for soooo much, from face packs to making modelling clay usable again to furnace moulding stuff. incredibly versatile.
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTongueDan 2009-04-09, 15:17

Lisa Baines wrote:for my 'sand' based scorpions I use the following mixture:-

14 parts sand (or split between sand and coir substrate)
2 parts pea gravel
1 part bentonite clay.

mix all this with a little water to dampen it. then put it in ya tank and leave it to dry out. I use a desk lamp to help the drying process otherwise you are waiting aaaaages!
I find this mix fantastic because as the clay dries it bonds the sand, enough to make burrows incredibly stable but brittle enough for the scorpion to scrape away. As it dries it expands slightly which increases stability. I believe the calcium based bentonite is best but to be perfectly honest I dont think it would make a great deal of difference which bentonite clay you use.

You can get this pretty cheap on ebay as well (about £6 inc postage for 750g), only place I can get it from because I cant get it locally without paying through the nose for it.

I recently discovered this from reading one of my scorpion books and I wish I had known about this clay aaaages ago - no more collapsed burrows yay!

This clay is used for soooo much, from face packs to making modelling clay usable again to furnace moulding stuff. incredibly versatile.

Thank you for the info Smile Very helpful!
Funny you should mention the clay, as I actually bought some of this today
http://livefoodsbypost.co.uk/zoo-med-excavator-clay-substrate225kg-xr-05-2009-p.asp
You just dampen it, create your burrows etc and leave it to dry, when you get bored of the design you just add water and re-do it.
Il be posting some photos later Smile
BlueTongueDan
BlueTongueDan
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-04-09, 15:47

oh thats good.

but i must admit if you keep several burrowing desert species like i do... you may want to do my DIY recipe... works out a hell of a lot cheaper Smile
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down