Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY!

+2
Young_Gun
Lisa Baines
6 posters

Go down

Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! Empty Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY!

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-03-31, 16:09

decided last night that the moss in the enclosures needed re-drenching. and as i got to this females tank and took the moss off the top of the bog wood...

***SQUEEEEEE***

there she was, the first time since january I had seen her full body. she was mated 2nd week of december, then in january was rehouse to the 4ft tank. where she dug a burrow in two days and apart from seeing the odd pedipalp, in fact twice in 2 months, I have been unable to see her.
She stopped eating at the end of january, and before me was one incredibly plump scorpion. white blobbing to the side membranes and a distinctive nerve cord squished against the tergites!
So pleased to announce that the mating was a success and hopefully any time from august onward I hope to update this thread with some very good news.

Sorry there are no pictures, obviously I disturbed her and by time i had lept across the front room to get my camera, she was pretty much back inside her burrow. However will try and get one of her before she drops... I dont think I have seen a picture of this species in gravid state on the net before.
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! Empty Re: Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY!

Post by Young_Gun 2009-03-31, 19:11

Well done on getting them to breed, really great news for this sp in captivity Smile

Maybe post up your breeding conditions etc on a seperate thread in case anyone else is trying to duplicate your successful breeding?

Pairing up my I.Dufoureius this week, fingers crossed Very Happy
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! Empty Re: Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY!

Post by xchrissyx 2009-04-01, 02:49

oh congrats hun, thats just great, x
xchrissyx
xchrissyx
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-03-08

http://www.freewebs.com/nakeaz

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTongueDan 2009-04-01, 05:07

Thats great!
Looking forward to seeing some babies in the near future Smile

Good luck, Young_Gun. Keep us updated Smile
BlueTongueDan
BlueTongueDan
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 130

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-04-01, 13:21

Young_Gun wrote:Well done on getting them to breed, really great news for this sp in captivity Smile
Maybe post up your breeding conditions etc on a seperate thread in case anyone else is trying to duplicate your successful breeding?
Pairing up my I.Dufoureius this week, fingers crossed Very Happy

I certainly will do. Once she has given birth I will put up all my breeding information, then further update it with the sling husbandry, I would have thought this would be pretty much like most hets, however this species appears to be non communal as adults, females become far too territorial.

Therefore I intend to try the slings together in a tub when they come off mums back and study how they get on... if however they appear to be too aggressive they will obviously be parted. I will have made little tubs ready in case things start to go pear shaped!
I would hazard an educated guess that they may be communal if they have been brought up together but certainly introducing a non related pair of scorpions nearly proved fatal!
This is the problem when breeding a species when there is absolutely no specific information available!

and good luck with the I.Dufoureius xx
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-04-01, 16:59

I sooo cannot believe my luck, it was awesome to see her under the moss two nights ago... tonight she came all the way out in hunting mode... guess she is hungry after 2 months of not eating
And as much as I know this species is pretty aggressive, nothing prepared me for how aggressive she would be in gravid state. ever seen a 5" scorpion jump about 3" into the air? I just did! even the slightest movement triggered her into hissing and jumping. for the first two minutes anyway, she went camera shy after that and wouldn't jump for the camera... typical

And for the first time in all my scorpion keeping... I saw venom from a scorpion.

I took the opportunity to get some pictures, because I have yet to see pictures on this species gravid on the net.
I know she was pretty peeved with me but I thought it would be of use to other people wanting to breed this species in the future. She has another 4-6months to go so plenty of time for her to settle down and relax. And I slung in about 3 crickets to keep her going, obviously take out the uneaten in morning
I apologise for the poor quality of the pictures... my camera sensor really doesn't like artificial light and taking pictures through plastic tubs lol. only thing that lets this camera down!

Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! DSCF6129
Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! DSCF6133
Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! DSCF6134
Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! DSCF6135
Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! DSCF6136
Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! DSCF6140
Heterometrus Madraspatensis - GRAVID YAY! DSCF6149
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Teeny 2009-04-02, 01:51

oooooooooooo she looks very plump and VERY cross lol. Great pics, is that venom drops in the second to last pic ??? In the last one she looks like she will pop. Great news and great pics Very Happy
Teeny
Teeny
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 402

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-04-02, 05:17

thank you for the comments Very Happy

yes that is venom in the pictures, I personally have never seen that in the 10 years i have been keeping scorpions.

I reacon she will be extremely large in 4-6mth when she finally drops
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Teeny 2009-04-02, 05:52

WHAT !!!! She still has all that time to go !!!! Jesus, i didn't realise. I thought that it was near time lol
Teeny
Teeny
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 402

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-04-02, 08:32

oh no still a long way to go yet lmao.
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Gun 2009-04-02, 08:42

Scorpions have an incredily long gestation period, stupidly long for some sp.

Lisa, if you like seeing venom then try some P.Transvaalicus, I use the facemask I use for working with the spitting cobras when I'm working with them as an added precaution.

Nice pics and definitely looks like the boy did his job.
Young_Gun
Young_Gun
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-04-02, 12:00

lol sounds interesting Very Happy

I have had a call today asking for a breeding loan of my male. And I know someone else with a breeding pair so with a bit of luck by next year, quite a few people will be able to enjoy these wicked looking hets. Smile
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero 2009-05-08, 02:15

Bit slow on the reply, but yay congrats! She looks gorgeous too! I will be saving my pennies.
Zero
Zero

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down