Arachnid Addicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My recently completed scorpion tanks

+2
jack_rep
Lisa Baines
6 posters

Go down

My recently completed scorpion tanks Empty My recently completed scorpion tanks

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-03-22, 19:11

basically these are big fish tanks that i have put panels in. great for space saving and look pretty impressive.
the 4ft forest tank is also a false bottom style tank, which saves on spraying every 5 mins. and that a good thing when you have 3 kids running around taking up every hour in the day lol

the 3ft tank is my desert tank. I have designed it so that it takes on the appearance of the bottom of a rocky slope.

I have yet to put backgrounds in them to complete them. but that is more for my benefit than the scorpions Smile

And I must admit since completing the tanks and rehoming the scorpions, they are so much more active. we turn the lights off in the front room as early as possible after the kids go to bed to encourage them out. and it's great to watch them. the desert tank has about 3 hides per scorpion. and they regularly swap from one hide to another throughout the night to catch their food.
The forest species dont venture out as much but they have created some incredible burrows. especially the spinifers. they have been kind enough to tunnel all the way to the front of the tank where i can see them Smile

anyway enough babbling on... pictures...

from this....
My recently completed scorpion tanks DSCF5527
to this...
My recently completed scorpion tanks DSCF5549

and i will post the desert tank tomorrow... picture on my pc and im on my laptop (aarrggh!)
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2009-03-21

Back to top Go down

My recently completed scorpion tanks Empty Re: My recently completed scorpion tanks

Post by jack_rep 2009-03-23, 21:34

aww wow. How did you do that divider thing? Im guessing with some cut to size glass and silicone? Was a difficult?

Ps... i think there is an escaped tarantula on the top of the tank in the second pic. Creepy!
jack_rep
jack_rep

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

My recently completed scorpion tanks Empty Re: My recently completed scorpion tanks

Post by Teeny 2009-03-24, 01:40

I love that idea don't they mind the dividers being seethrough ??? I only ask coz i am getting some soon and this is a great space saving idea. Oo and the gravel in the bottom, does this serve a purpose?? I have not seen this on any caresheets. Sorry to hijack your thread
Teeny
Teeny
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-03-24, 03:56

no not at all. it is a false bottom style enclosure.
There is a 2" layer of gravel at the bottom and an under-water gravel filter cut to size placed on top, keeping the tube in place, and then the substrate is placed on top of it all. then once every 2-3 weeks i top up the water level to the top of the gravel and this keeps perfect humifity for the scorpions.
Saves spraying every day. I just give the top of the substrate a mist once a week. So although it's room humidity above the surface, it is perfect humidity starting just below.

And the scorpions have built excellent burrows with warm and cool 'rooms' so they can regulate their temperature really well.

The only drawback to this sort of enclosure is the weight. so you cant really move it once it is in place. but great for space saving Very Happy

and no the scorpions dont seems to mind each other at all. I think it may be because they cant smell each others scent on the floor, so although they do walk next to each other on an evening, they just ignore each other.

but here's my thread on another forum that shows how I put it all together
click here

and lol it's not an escaped tarantula, it's one we were drying out, a haplopelma sp. 'vietnam' he had his wicked way with our female and died shortly afterwards.
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Baines 2009-03-24, 04:13

and here's the desert enclosure: -
My recently completed scorpion tanks DSCF6113

My recently completed scorpion tanks DSCF6114

My recently completed scorpion tanks DSCF6115

My recently completed scorpion tanks DSCF6116

For those getting a little worried about water supply in 3 of the tanks, these ones are for my smeringus which are intollerent to water Smile they get all their moisture from their food.
Lisa Baines
Lisa Baines
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Teeny 2009-03-24, 04:44

Thanks for that info. That sounds liek a great idea for the final adult enclosure for mine. Love the desert ones too they look very effective. Clever idea hunny
Teeny
Teeny
Moderators
Moderators

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by garlicpickle 2009-03-24, 06:53

Cool setups Lisa, they look great!
garlicpickle
garlicpickle
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTongueDan 2009-03-25, 07:37

Wow, they look great.
Love the desert set ups.
BlueTongueDan
BlueTongueDan
Arachnoholic Member
Arachnoholic Member

Number of posts : 130

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep 2009-03-27, 09:03

Wow those are brilliant!

iiisecondcreep

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down